- Environmental impact assessment
- Full lifecycle environmental impact
- Technology for smart metering smart grid and street lighting control
- Regulatory compliance issues
- RoHS and WEEE regulations
Plextek provides expert support in assessing the environmental impact of technology and how companies can respond to legislation regarding carbon emissions.
The manufacture, use and disposal of communication systems and products contributes approximately 0.5% of all CO2 emissions. This rises to 2% if data centres and other ICT applications are included.
Network operators are increasingly seeking to reduce their energy costs and end users of communications products and services are becoming increasingly conscious of their contribution to global warming and climate change. Suppliers of communications systems are responding by designing more energy-efficient equipment.
Communications systems can have a number of positive environmental benefits. Tele-working and video-conferencing can reduce emissions caused by travel and intelligent monitoring & control systems are starting to be deployed to make better use of energy in, for example, smart buildings. Plextek has a long association with applying technology to optimise the use of power including efficient RF amplifier design, smart metering and street light control.
Plextek is able to provide clients with environmental consulting services ranging from product & system environmental impact analysis to energy-efficient design and RoHS & WEEE advice.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss any aspect of communications and the environment.
- Plextek undertook a major study for Ofcom, the UK communications industry regulator, entitled "Understanding the Environmental Impact of Communication Systems". The work considered both the effects of equipment manufacture and use on carbon emissions and the extent to which communication systems can offset climate change impacts in sectors such as transport. The report presented Ofcom with a number of recommendations and, since publication, the report has been cited in several other studies on this topic.
- We have been one of the leading innovators in the area of smart metering. We developed a battery powered telemetry system for one of the first smart metering trials undertaken in the UK by British Gas. Our telemetry systems have been used for smart metering projects in the US and Europe and we have developed a street lighting control system that is now being commercialised by our spin-out company, Telensa.