Plextek is an electronics design consultancy working on a diverse range of innovative and challenging technologies for the communications and electronics industries. We provide consulting and design services across a broad range of sectors (consumer, industrial, automotive, medical and security & defence). Consequently, the work is varied, interesting and often technically challenging.
Our work is largely driven by technical development and innovation. One of the great advantages of working here is that no two projects are the same. If you are an enthusiastic, adaptable and motivated person who thrives on variety, enjoys learning new skills and facing exciting challenges then this is the place to be. We are located 10 miles south of Cambridge in the beautiful village of Great Chesterford with easy parking, a direct train link to Cambridge and easy access to the M11.
The Mechanical Design team are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and flexible Senior Mechanical Design engineer who has the ability to progress quickly to Lead Mechanical Engineer to enhance our mechanical design capability. The successful candidate will have responsibility for the mechanical design elements of a wide range of projects and products both new and existing.
Design Consultancy work is varied and interesting. Our projects are largely based around Plextek’s core radio capability and range from low volume specialist equipment, through to complex consumer products designed for low cost, high volume manufacture.
This is a challenging role requiring a breadth of knowledge and experience rather than a narrow specialism.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Typically, though not limited to:
- Liaison with other disciplines and working in project teams, provide input into project proposals, create design schemes and concepts.
- Act as a point of expertise within the organisation to provide guidance and mentoring to the team and wider business.
- Responsible for creative and innovative designs using the PTC Creo 3D CAD tool.
- Hands-on development, including building prototypes and pre-certification testing of elements such as ingress protection sealing, thermal management and/or mechanical integrity.
- Produce drawings and BoMs and provide input into manufacturing data packs. Engineering drawings to BS8888. Geometric tolerancing. Tolerance analyses.
- Be the technical lead at design reviews, provide technical support in client facing meetings.
- Manage the mechanical aspects of a project from concept through to manufacturer hand-over, provide client support and dealing with suppliers both locally and internationally.
- Production of technical reports and presentations as well as contributing to raising the profile of Plextek capabilities through the publishing of articles.
- When required manage external resource which provides additional capacity to the team.
Although the role is based at our Great Chesterford office, some travel may be required in the UK and, occasionally, overseas.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate understanding and experience of the following:
- 3D CAD packages, preferably Creo including document and revision control
- Mathematical approach to calculating loads, torques, friction forces, moments of inertia, bending moments, stresses etc.
- Use of sealing techniques to provide ingress protection against liquids and solids.
- Understanding of principles of EMC protection and RF isolation.
- Knowledge of thermal control for electronics, using both passive and active methods.
- Corrosion prevention/protection strategies.
- Understanding of good design for assembly and both low and high volume manufacturing processes. And be able to demonstrate examples of their direct involvement in a variety of products designed.
- Working knowledge of diverse manufacturing process including injection-moulding, sand and die-casting, sheet metal fabrication, precision machining, Additive Manufacturing using multiple materials as well as practiced use of appropriate rapid prototyping techniques.
- The ability to estimate what time is required to complete a design and to estimate tooling costs and piece part costs across a wide range of parts and manufacturing volumes.
- Materials selection.
- A logical and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Knowledge of RF, Analogue & Digital layout considerations for mechanical design.
- An understanding of FEA simulation techniques.
- Experience of working directly with UK and Overseas sub-contract manufacturers.
Preferred Degree in Mechanical Design / Engineering, or a related discipline. Candidates with HNC/D will be considered, depending on experience.
- Ability to integrate into and be a productive member of small project teams.
- Good communication skills, including technical communication; both oral and written.
- To be able to instil confidence of our technical competence in our clients during face to face meetings and in reports / proposals.
- Ability to manage own time working independently, and work on a number of projects simultaneously.
- Close attention to detail.
- Flexibility to achieve project timescales when required.
In return, we offer a competitive package and a stimulating environment that will encourage you to be your best. Salary and job title will be based on the level of the candidate’s experience and expertise. We provide all the training, professional development and support that you need to complete your projects, including a number of dedicated training days per year. We are a versatile business and are able to support career progression in many dimensions including technical, commercial and managerial.
Plextek provides unique solutions for our customers by solving today’s hardest engineering problems in sensing, data collection & communications. Our customers span a wide range of markets including healthcare, internet of things, defence, security and automotive.
We are based just south of Cambridge with easy road and rail routes to the vibrant city centre. We provide a friendly and supportive working environment including regular on-site and off-site social events.