About the Position
Our breadth of experience in antenna design, high-frequency electronics, digital signal processing and embedded systems means they are now a world leader in low size, weight, power and cost communications, radar, and sensing systems.
We provide broad and innovative design and engineering services across a range of sectors (consumer, defence, industrial, utilities, healthcare, automotive, security, and space). Consequently, the work is varied, interesting and often technically challenging.
We are now seeking a Business Development Lead who will identify, qualify, develop, and close sales for Plextek.
Historically, Plextek has developed a strong reputation and capability within the defence sector, and consequently this new role is to focus on markets outside of this.
Within 2 years of joining, it is expected that the individual in this role will close more than £1.5m/pa in sales. However, it is accepted that during the first 12 months a realistic target is likely to be £500k, with extensive activity going into networking and sales pipeline development.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for establishing new business relationships and building a significant leads and sales pipeline
- A demonstrable track record of closing over £1m in new orders pa for a minimum of three years in a B2B service environment
- A good first degree, preferably in engineering or physics
- At least 10 years of post-graduate work experience, with at least five years in Business Development, preferably relating to consulting sales
- Proven ability to understand customers’ strategic, commercial and technology challenges
- A strong network of associates, clients and partners in their market(s) of expertise
- Secured new business and built an established pipeline of sales in markets outside of Defence and Government procurement
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to develop effective sales campaigns
- Proven ability to identify prospective clients and partners, and to secure introductory meetings with senior stakeholders
- A strong understanding of research and development and the commercialisation of technologies and products
- Ideally a strong knowledge of Smart Connected Sensors, RF techniques and applications covering communications/sensing/radar as an advantage
- Commercial experience and customer networks beyond the UK, including in Europe or the USA would be helpful, and
- Proven account management and contract negotiation skills.
In return, we offer a competitive package and a stimulating environment that will encourage you to be your best. Salary and job title will be based on the level of the candidate’s experience and expertise. We provide all the training, professional development and support that you need to complete your projects, including a number of dedicated training days per year. We are a versatile business and are able to support career progression in many dimensions including technical, commercial and managerial.
Plextek provides unique solutions for our customers by solving today’s hardest engineering problems in sensing, data collection & communications. Our customers span a wide range of markets including healthcare, internet of things, defence, security and automotive.
We are based just south of Cambridge with easy road and rail routes to the vibrant city centre. We provide a friendly and supportive working environment including regular on-site and off-site social events.
Apply for this position
Position: Full time
- Company Bonus Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance
- 25 Days Annual Leave Pro Rata
- Long Service Annual Leave Awards
- Medical Cash Plan
- Learning Opportunities/Support
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Eye Tests for DSE Work
- Regular Company Social Events
- Discounted Cinema Tickets & Other Benefits